Welcome to my blog. My name is John and although I have worked at the same job for 33 years I like to take chances. Mostly I like to skydive and for the last 26 years I have enjoyed both jumping with friends and doing some instructing. But rather than get into that I wanted to document how I came to be riding a motorcycle, not my own, to Argentina, not a place I've been to before. To start with this is possibly going to be a little tedious as I have no such writing talent as my wife does but bear with me.
Colorado is one of my favorite states and I like to ride there when I get the chance. Usually I rent an offroad bike and head out on the trails. Here is a pic taken a couple of years ago while taking a breather.
.jpg)
While riding the mountain passes around Silverton I ran into this guy.
His name is Numa and he had a small problem with moto. During his ride through the rough roads and trails his fairing had collapsed and was hanging down so far as to be sitting on the front wheel. After a few beers assessing the situation we used a spike, some hose clamps, and a large beating device to repair it.
.jpg)
He actually made it home to Osage Beach, Missouri after that repair so I guess we used the proper procedure. Two years later a common acquaintance from that trip suggested we get together and ride near Numa's place. Lake of the Ozark's area is supposed to be kinda pretty and a chance to meet up again couldn't be passed up.
After the day's riding I was admiring Numa's garage. As a side note Numa is a retired professor from UCLA who spends 6 months in Missouri and 6 months in Buenos Aires, Argentina. So back to the garage...we were enjoying ourselves with some adult beverages and I noted just how many motorcycles Numa had. Numa mentioned whistfully that he would love to have one of his bikes down in BsAs. Me, having been re hydrating for so long, blurted out that I would be happy to take one of his bikes down for him. It came out so quickly and effortlessly, like no more than just popping down to the corner to pick up a few things. A few laughs and the conversation drifted to the next days ride.
Two months later I received an email from Numa. He wanted to know if I was serious about taking one of his bikes to BsAs. Now I love motorcycles and travel but I just got married a couple of months beforehand. It would be prudent to keep things in perspective and realize that leaving a relatively new bride might not be in anyones best interest. Me being me I immediately wrote back and said yes I would go, "what bike am I going to be riding?"
Actually to my wife's credit she said she knew it had always been a dream of mine to ride to South America. Her words were "This is your chance. You have to go!" I definitely picked the right girl!

3 comments:
Love the blog John, great work. Hopefully you'll find time to keep updating once in motion. I found that to be the hardest part on my moto trip.
Hey Rudi-yes it's definitely a challenge to keep up the blog but people's comments make it seem worthwhile. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Did you get the tankbag from Zoe while there?
The wife sounds like a keeper.
Post a Comment