Monday, January 11, 2010

January 11th, 2010

Monday here in Lima...bored out of my gourd as I have no where to ride to, problems to solve, not much to plan. I'm a little grumpy today but later in the afternoon we got the good news that Mike's passport is ready for pickup. Tomorrow we ride!!!!!


The United States Embassy in Lima is quite impressive but I got scolded nicely but firmly for trying to take pictures soooo...As I don't have any new pics for you here is a video I shot while riding through some desert area North of Lima.




Finishing this up at 9 p.m. at a little sidewalk cafe with wifi. My attitude has done a complete about face in the last three hours! I love the Barranco District in Lima! While I was Skype chatting with Zoe some wonderful people approached me trying out their English. It started when I ordered my new favorite drink "Chicha Morada". It is very purple like dark red wine but it is made from corn and non-alcoholic. They have many types of corn and this one is purple.

Anyway when I ordered it, a suggestion from Matias last night, people noticed and started approaching me. I heard how great Peru is and how next to the French Peru has the best food. To a person they all tried to persuade me to spend an evening at a fine restaurant in Lima and see for myself. It was agreed that for a five star restaurant I should pay about $30 U.S. and would enjoy a whole evening of fine dining. Each one of them is truly convinced that I would agree.

Also two guys were "praying" that Peru would become the United States rather than China, as if it were inevitable they would be eventually ruled by one or the other. Also they were grateful that George Bush would never be president again. So promising each of them that I would try some fine dining before leaving Lima so I could leave I left with a new attitude.

Now I cannot stay here another night but if I did I would buy a nice shirt and shoes and splurge on a fine restaurant here in Lima. Maybe someday Zoe and I can make good on this promise....

Be happy and thank you for reading-John

1 comment:

Mark L said...

Glad you got over the theft...too bad about the SPOT GPS. Now how will we be able to find the b..ummm...nevermind.

The blog entries are wonderful.